Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Am I Really Done?

My husband, Rick, is working really hard in our basement to make a playroom/man cave. Tonight he informed me that I need to get rid of all the baby toys-bouncy seats, exersaucers, etc... I asked him if he is sure that he doesn't want any more children? He replied, quite emphatically, that he is definitely done. The problem is that I don't know if I am.
Let me clarify. I am almost 37 years old and a huge part of me is completely satisfied with the two little beauties that I currently have. Not to mention, my first and only pregnancy was not a walk in the park. Sophie's water broke at 21 weeks and I spent 7 weeks on hospitalized bed rest. Oh, and another 12 in the NICU. So I have to consider if I'd really want to take that chance again. I know that emotionally I couldn't go through that ordeal again.
I think I am having trouble with the fact that I will never have another child. I'll never have another chance to enjoy a "normal" pregnancy. I won't get a "do-over." Deep down, I'm very grateful for my daughters. They are miracles and are the sweetest little ones you'd ever want to meet. But I will always feel like I failed at pregnancy because they came so early. I guess what I really want is a chance to "get it right." Not really the best reason to bring another human being into this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment